Bewildher is slow-fashion activewear empowering women to be wilder with designs that raise awareness for social and environmental issues. We believe eye-catching prints create the perfect segue to share what's important to us as each compliment elicits an opportunity to raise awareness. All of our activewear is ethically made in Canada by female-owned manufacturers and for every purchase we make a donation to Girl In The Wild - because what could be more important than ensuring the next generation of women grow up to be leaders for empowering women and protecting the environment?
(Photo: Chelsie Mccutcheon, Girl In The Wild camp leader and Bewildher ambassador)
ABOUT THE CONTEST
In honor of International Women’s Day 2022 theme #breakthebias we are issuing a call out to artists, photographers and typographers for a print design competition. This Tuesday, March 8th is International Women’s Day and marks a call to action for accelerating women's equality. Learn more about this year's theme here.
We’re inviting artists to submit their original print designs in up to teams of three (3) centered around the print theme, detailed in the guidelines below. We’re encouraging artists, photographers and typographers to collaborate with each other on original print designs. Entrants may start from scratch, creating something entirely new, or pull from their existing portfolio, so long as it’s their original work.
This year's Bewildher IWD contest is launched on March 8th and continues through the year to unify direction and galvanize activity by providing a meaningful framework to connect and amplify action.
(Email email@example.com subject: Print Design Contest Template Request, to be sent a full-size pdf template.)
THE GRAND PRIZE(S)
To remove ‘bias’ from the winner selection process, there may be up to two(2) winning print designs chosen. One design will be chosen by our community through several rounds of public votes. One design will be chosen by a panel of judges. If the public and our panel of judges choose different print designs, we will have two (2) winners for the grand prize:
- A financial contract for commercial use of the winning print design(s): $300 for printing up to 300 garments, plus a royalty per additional garment should we re-print. This fee is per design, not per contributor.
- One pair of leggings with the winning print design(s) for each entrant who contributed to the winning print design(s); up to three(3) pairs of leggings total per winning print design. (Approximate full retail value of up to $350-$400 depending on quantity, final fabrics & design details, etc.)
PRINT THEME GUIDELINES
The print design submission should be focused on the themes of empowering women, accelerating gender equality and/or #breakthebias. We encourage you to collaborate with other artists including but not limited to illustrators, graphic designers, photographers and typographers to come up with a collaborative print design.
Behind the scenes at Bewildher printing house. Photography by JB Candid Photo is copyrighted.
All design entries must be submitted electronically or physically by June 20th, 2022 at 11.59pm PST. The print design entries will then be considered by Bewildher’s judging panel. In order to be considered, print design entries must meet all the Terms & Conditions, Guidelines and Official Rules.
- Contest Launch: March 8, 2022
- Submit By: June 20th, 2022 at 11:59 PM
- Round 1 community voting: July 1st, 2022 until July 20th, 2022
- Semi-finalists announced: August 1st, 2022
Round 2 community voting: August 1st, 2022 until September 20th, 2022
- Winner(s) Announcement: Oct 11, 2022 (Day of the Girl)
HOW TO SUBMIT
Entrants should verify that their entry meets the 'print design submission guidelines' below. Designs should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “breakthebias design contest”.
(All Photos) This is where Bewildher clothes are made, in Vancouver, BC, Canada by these women. Photography by JB Candid Photo is copyrighted.
PRINT DESIGN SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Participants must be 18 years old at the time of entry and reside within Canada, excluding Quebec.
Please include a written paragraph of your design inspiration, up to 300 words.
Participants may submit:
Participants can only submit one original print design.
Up to thirty(30) print design submissions will be displayed on the Bewildher website for community/public voting. Should we receive an excess of thirty(30) submissions, our panel of judges will choose the thirty(30) print designs that will be displayed for community/public voting. Participants will be alerted if their work is to be listed online.
Participants must retain their original artwork should they be chosen as a winner, as we will need to acquire the highest quality version for printing large scale on the leggings.
The winning design(s) may be reasonably modified to accommodate production requirements.
The winning print design(s) will have the Bewildher logo incorporated into the design by the Sponsor Bewildher Fitwear.
Designs must be original (meaning not using third party pre-existing copyright materials)
Participants must provide current contact information including their phone number and active email address so they can be easily contacted.
Inappropriate or harmful submissions will be removed.
No purchase necessary.
All submissions will be featured in digital galleries to promote your entry via public voting on Facebook and Instagram. The voting process may give you additional exposure, recognition for your work and continued supporters.
Participants agree that their entries can be used by Bewildher in connection to the contest.
Participants who win prizes agree that their entries can be used as described in the contest details.
All participants retain ownership of their original print design submission.
"Women around the world, we are all woven together. What happens to one impacts us all, cast a wide net of love so none may fall. Women make and mend the tapestries of life... decorate the future with female success stories!" - words written into the Bewildher Woven Together print of purple hues in celebration of International Women's Day 2021.
NOT FEELING CREATIVE? YOU CAN STILL GET INVOLVED
Want to be a part of the #breakthebias movement? Here are some ways:
- Commit to voting when the contest has closed and finalists are shortlisted. Follow along at @bewildher on Instagram and Facebook
Build workplaces where women thrive. Share resources for Women Entrepreneurs.
- Ensure the garments you purchase were sewn for fair wages, or make a donation to the clean clothes campaign, an organization working to improve conditions in the global fashion industry.
- Help spread the word about advocates and campaigners aspiring to do better.
- Follow @internationalwomensday_global on Instagram. This account celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, and marks a call-to-action to #breakthebias.
- Many consumers think only big corporations have the power to make a difference, but in fact corporations are legally bound to make profits for their investors and must do whatever consumer data tells them will make the most money. If YOU stop buying their products and only buy eco-friendly and ethical, they will have the data they need to show their investors that becoming eco-friendly and ethical is in their best interest too.
- Continue learning about women in business and beyond. Here are some initiatives, reports, data from our local womens foundation.
A heartfelt thank-you for your interest and support for our slow-fashion journey!
~ Nadine, founder and designer
(Left) A special moment that reminds our founder why advocating against child labor and ensuring safe working conditions and fair wages matters (Right) A reminder that even commercially made clothing is still very much 'handmade.' Photography by JB Candid Photo is copyrighted.
Ask the brands you buy from "who made my clothes?" - Fashion Revolution.